The services provided by VFW Post 7539 and its Service Officer include:
· Research and advice to veteran who wish to handle their own claims
· Assistance to veterans who are filing original claims for compensation and/or pension with the Department of Veterans Affairs and assistance in completing the required VA forms on behalf of the claimant.
· Assistance in reopening claims for service-connected disabilities and assistance with completion of the required VA forms.
· Assistance with follow up on status of claims filed by veterans with the VA Regional Office.
· Assistance in filing notice of Disagreement with the VA Regional Office if a veteran believes the decision made by the VA is incorrect.
· Assistance with the review of statements of the case from the VA regarding denials of claim and assistance to the veteran with the preparation of responses.
· Assistance to veterans or surviving spouses with the preparation of appeals for denial of claims and assistance in filing the appeals with the local VA Regional Office for forwarding to the Board of Veterans Appeals in Washington, D.C.
· Assistance with the completion of VA Forms other than for original claims.
· Assistance with answering/researching telephone inquiries regarding medical, death/burial and other miscellaneous benefits.